top of page
  • tech360.tv

Google Implements New Measures to Reject Unwanted Mass Emails in Gmail

Starting in April 2024, Google will increase message rejections for senders of unwanted mass emails to Gmail users. The new rules aim to protect Gmail users from receiving unwanted mass emails. Bulk senders must authenticate outgoing emails and avoid sending unsolicited emails.

Google has announced that starting in April 2024, senders of unwanted mass emails to Gmail users will face increased message rejections unless they adhere to new Gmail email sender guidelines. These new rules aim to protect Gmail users from receiving unwanted mass emails. Google has clarified that the error messages some senders have been receiving, specifically error code 550-5.7.56, are not new but rather a result of pre-existing authentication requirements.

From April onwards, Google will gradually increase the rejection rate for non-compliant email traffic. For example, if 75% of the traffic meets the new email sender authentication guidelines, a percentage of the remaining non-compliant 25% will be rejected. The exact percentage of rejection is yet to be determined. Google assures that the enforcement of these new rules will be gradual and progressive.


This phased approach has already begun, with temporary errors affecting a small percentage of non-compliant email traffic this month. Additionally, bulk senders will have until June 1 to implement one-click unsubscribe in all commercial and promotional messages.


It's important to note that these changes will only impact bulk emails sent to personal Gmail accounts. Senders who send at least 5,000 messages a day to Gmail accounts will be required to authenticate outgoing emails and avoid sending unwanted or unsolicited emails. The 5,000 message limit applies to emails sent from the same primary domain, regardless of the number of subdomains used. Once the limit is reached, the domain will be considered a permanent bulk sender. These guidelines do not apply to messages sent to Google Workspace accounts, but all senders, including those using Google Workspace, must meet the new requirements.


Google emphasises that these requirements are being implemented to enhance sender-side security and give users more control over their inbox. By meeting these requirements, senders can establish trust with recipients, reducing the risk of phishing attacks and spoofing from malicious actors.


In related news, WhatsApp is also taking steps to combat spam messages. With approximately 2.7 billion users, WhatsApp now allows users to block spam messages directly from the lock screen without unlocking their smartphones. This feature aims to make it easier for users to deal with potentially dangerous and annoying spam messages.


In the UK, Virgin Media O2 has partnered with Hiya, an anti-spam service, to combat fraudulent calls. The partnership will introduce Hiya's Adaptive AI caller identification and spam-blocking tools to complement existing fraud protection systems. This service will be rolled out to all customers free of charge in the coming months, providing enhanced protection against fraudulent and spam calls.

 
  • Starting in April 2024, Google will increase message rejections for senders of unwanted mass emails to Gmail users.

  • The new rules aim to protect Gmail users from receiving unwanted mass emails.

  • Bulk senders must authenticate outgoing emails and avoid sending unsolicited emails.

Source: FORBES

As technology advances and has a greater impact on our lives than ever before, being informed is the only way to keep up.  Through our product reviews and news articles, we want to be able to aid our readers in doing so. All of our reviews are carefully written, offer unique insights and critiques, and provide trustworthy recommendations. Our news stories are sourced from trustworthy sources, fact-checked by our team, and presented with the help of AI to make them easier to comprehend for our readers. If you notice any errors in our product reviews or news stories, please email us at editorial@tech360.tv.  Your input will be important in ensuring that our articles are accurate for all of our readers.

bottom of page